Opinion on a horn please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jm on February 04, 2004 at 19:50:32:

Now I am not wanting to start a Bb vs CC tuba, but I would like to get opinions on what you would do in my situation and plans for the future.

Im a highschool junior, and recently made 1st in my region and will be trying out for all state this saturday. I currently play on a cerveny 681 Bb tuba thats owned by the school.

Im hoping that if I make all state, which will most likely mean scholarship aid for college for my I can persuade my parents to help me buy a tuba, im not sure how much they will spend just but im lookin around now to catch auction sales and such to see how much various tubas go for.

I am also now that i've start looking around debating Bb vs C tuba.

I plan to not major in music but engineering, but if i can i'd like to take a minor in music or double major in music since i do enjoy it so much and want to learn more about music in general and just understand music better. After college, I do plan to continue playing for fun most likely in a local brass band, or church group.. something as a past time for fun, and stress reliever.

The tubas i've currently found interest in and either me or my parents have found and shown to me are...

Cerveny 681/686 Bb(the 681 has gotten me "this far" and the 686 seems to be a better model.)
Miraphone 186 Bb or CC(heard the most about these, seems to be the best bang for the buck)
Wilson 3050S CC(i like what i've read about em, anyone know more?)
HB2 (not hugely interested.. still lookin at it.. )

What would you pick, not necarsily bang for buck but as the best tuba for what I plan to do. Im starting to want pistons over rotors, and silver over gold... but then again those aren't huge huge on my list, however if they are pistons I want front pistons(Not top) And ofcourse atleast 4valves on a Bb and 5 on a CC.

I've already started dabblign in CC fingerings, mainly taking scales and righting out fingerings in Bb and CC to make a comparison and while im playing my concert music in band im thinkin what the C tuba fingering would be for this incase I do switch.

If I go CC, I think the best time will be shortly after state since I dont' have regions till next year and have plenty of time to readjust..

So basically, what would you suggest CC or Bb for my situation(play in college, and for fun afterwards..) and what tuba?(if you wouldn't mind a few, more expensive and less.. If I get a more expensive model I will most like look for a used one).

Also, Im not ready to buy. I appreciate the offers for tubas and such but im most likely a almost a month at the earliest before i'd be considering buying a tuba. Im still researching and am just wanting some brands and such to be lookin for.

If i go CC I know its not gonna make me a better tuba overnight, but im lookin more so in the long run I.E. for college, after college.. and learning a new set of fingerings wont' bother me so much.. I just started reading trumpet a while back and i can do it pretty well now so I dont' think learning fingerings up a step will be so bad.

Thanks in advance guys, forgive my grammar mistakes ! please dont' make this into solely a CC vs Bb debation

J"whos found himself in a CC vs Bb debate with himself"M

Follow Ups: