Re: Opinion on a horn please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me on February 04, 2004 at 21:50:54:

In Reply to: Opinion on a horn please posted by jm on February 04, 2004 at 19:50:32:

As someone who majored in engineering but continues to play tuba as a hobby, I think that the King 2341 is probably the best bang for the buck for what you will need now and into the future. It will work well for now and is a great horn for any size community band or even a brass band (although the traditional brass band instrument is a 3+1 compensator, both Eb & BBb). The Cerveny 686 is a nice horn, especially if money is a real issue. However, consistency in quality has been mentioned as an issue. The Miraphone 186 is a very good horn, but will be more expensive than the Cerveny or King, although about the same price as a silver King.

I'm not a fan of the Willson 3050 or 3100. I have never found them comfortable to hold while playing. They are well made horns with solid playing characteristics, but for the type of playing you mention I don't think it's worth spending the extra money.

Lee Stofer had a new looking used King 2341 in satin silver at the USABTEC last week that was a very nice horn. I don't know what he was selling it for, but it seems to me that your best bet would be to find a horn like that, or buy that one. You can contact him at Tubameister1(AT)juno.com and ask him about it.

Follow Ups: