Soundproofing a Home Tuba Room

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David C. Ellis on February 13, 2004 at 09:58:47:

I need help on Sound Proofing a Tuba Room.

Ok here is the deal. I have been working on finishing by basement for the past year. My wife has agreed that I can make a “Music Room” AKA Tuba Room in the basement (something about the Tuba being too loud go figure). This will be a place I can practice and store my tuba and all the stuff that goes with it. (Little does she know that I am building extra storage room for additional tubas in the future).

The goals for this room include:
· Practice Tuba Quietly (including late night or early morning) without using a mute.
· Store Tuba, Stands, Music etc.
· Store the other brass instruments that my two sons play. French Horn, Trombone Euphonium. (I know all I need to do is convince my wife and daughter to give up their flutes and take up the trumpet and I will have my own Brass Quintet.)
· Record practice sessions
· Ability to digitize a crate of old LPs into MP3 files that I can play on my modern equipment.
· Give Lessons
· Place where my sons can practice their instruments as well.

The dimensions on this room are approx 10’ x 12’. Once I am complete I plan on making some built in storage for instruments, computer and stereo. So far I have framed up the walls for my music room, hung the doors, completed the electrical and plan on running, Cable, Phone, CAT5 and Speaker wires inside the walls this weekend. After this I will be ready to hang Dry Wall.

My question is what can I do to best sound proof this room?

I plan on using un-faced fiberglass installation in the interior walls and the ceiling along with Styrofoam sheets in the exterior walls. Once I have finished the walls I plan on adding a suspended ceiling. I do not plan on carpeting the room but will use an area rug on top of painted concrete.

Does anyone know any other products that are readily available to the DIY that they would recommend? Possibly something on exterior of walls or a particular kind of paint?

Also looking for a recommendation on a suspended ceiling that would work well to sound proof room.

In addition has anyone ever taken on a project like this and wish they would have added something before they hung drywall or installed a ceiling?

Thanks for reading this post.

Follow Ups: