Re: Soundproofing a Home Tuba Room

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean E on February 13, 2004 at 16:49:42:

In Reply to: Soundproofing a Home Tuba Room posted by David C. Ellis on February 13, 2004 at 09:58:47:

David, this sounds like a great project.
I researched soundproofing once and was successful in adding a new soundproofing wall to my townhouse.
Mass (i.e., several layers of 1/2 inch or thicker sheetrock) is effective to deaden physical sound transmittal. Also, fill the hollow spaces in the new soundproofing wall with fibberglass for greater sound protection against air-transmitted sounds.
1. Install two layers of thick sheetrock to the existing walls using long drywall screws.
2. Next, build a frame for the soundproofing wall with 2X6's or 2X8's for the horizontal members at top and bottom. Use 2X4's for the vertical members, staggering them so as not to physically transmit the sound all the way though.
3. Slide the frame against the new layers of sheetrock and nail into the floor and ceiling, where possible.
4. Fill the frame with fiberglass insulation.
5. Install another two layers of thick sheetrock with drywall screws and finish the exposed surface.
6. Repeat on every wall.
7. If there's occupied space above, and the ceiling is high enough, repeat the process on the ceiling.

Dean E

Follow Ups: