Re: Oystein Baadsvik CD - Amazing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tommy on February 20, 2004 at 20:23:44:

In Reply to: Oystein Baadsvik CD - Amazing posted by charlieJ on February 20, 2004 at 00:16:07:

I agree. This guy can play a damn tuba.
That being said-
Is it absolutely necessary to make another recording of Carnival of Venice and Csardas? I am amazed and humbled by Mr Baadsvik's abilities. I think that performers on this level, like Pat Sheridan or Roland Sventpali (sorry for butchering that name) could be doing something more than freaking us out with circus technique. Gifted composers would jump at the chance to work with an absolutely world class talent. I think this should be a goal.
Mr Baadsvik's bio says he has premiered a large number of works. I would love to hear recordings of some of them, even the not-so-amazing ones. Mr Sheridan's legato playing is truly something to behold. His musical abilities are some of the most highly developed I have had the fortune to experience. I love what our favorite players can do!
Is it possible that we no longer have to "prove" that a tuba can play as well as any other instrument? Is it time for gifted musicians to focus on finding and making new music? I know that the artists I have mentioned all spend time and effort working towards this end, but we need more help than that! We don't all have access to the Staatsbibliotek. If new music is alive and living well in the hands of such players, we need to know. If it is not, then someone is wasting their ___-given talent. Great musicians are much more than Paganini technicians. I think a tuba can reflect that.

Just a thought.

Follow Ups: