Re: why tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on January 07, 1999 at 00:25:41:

In Reply to: why tuba? posted by Dean Norman on January 06, 1999 at 15:56:56:

I'm not sure why, but I wanted to play the tuba from the start. I guess it could have had something to do with living in Columbus at the time and dotting the "i" at OSU was a big deal. I don't know, but I have always gravitated to the low end of the band. I sing bass, play bass 'bone, and tuba, I just love the low sound.
Anyway, back to my story of how I got started. . . Like I said before I wanted to play tuba, the only thing stopping me was my size. The director didn't think that I could handle it. So, I started on euphonium. After a year of picking they finally let me switch over. At the time I was below 5 feet tall and under 100 pounds. I must have been a sight hauling that big thing around the school! years later I'm still smaller than most of the tubists I know, but I don't have too much problem filling up my 5/4 horn.

So, I guess the answer to the question is: Because I love the low sound, it was something that no one else even wanted to do, so it set me apart, and, of course, what little kid can resist messing with a horn that's as big as you and has alot of neato shiny tubes?

It has all turned out well, I was offered full scholarship as a tuba major at four colleges and I am studying under Mike Thornton of the Cincinnati Symphony and even making some money with gigs and playing at Kings Island during my breaks. I love playing the tuba!

Sorry if I rambled on a little too long,
T. J.

Follow Ups: