Re: St. Petersburg - Anybody played one?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on January 11, 1999 at 10:39:58:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg - Anybody played one? posted by Charlie T on January 11, 1999 at 10:16:45:

I had the Tuba Exchange variety on loan for a few weeks in December. It played well with a nice dark tone and great intonation, I only had to pull the third valve slide a hair.

The only thing I didn't like is that it had some sort of re-inforcing piece across the bottom that made it very painfull to rest in my lap. I ended up sitting spread-eagle while resting the thing on the chair. Kind of reminded me of playing the huge Besson tubas with the posts like we had in High School.

I almost bought one but had some concerns over quality consistancy and long term viability. Some posts here indicated that the quality of valve construction may vary greatly and others have told rather hairy stories of the horn suffering severe damage in shipping.

I ended up keeing an eye on this forum as well as some stores and found a used Miraphone 186 in great condition, I ended up dropping about $800-$1000 less than I would with a St. Pete and got a lot more horn.

Good luck!

Rick

Follow Ups: