Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sage One on January 24, 2000 at 18:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf?? posted by Dave on January 24, 2000 at 17:00:02:

I wasn't going to post again, but you hit my button. You implied that I hold opinions that would be inconsistent with what I have said. This is like those politicians who can't make a case for their position so they demonize their opponents.

"I know that a considerable portion of my tuition went to support our incredibly visible athletic department, yet I recorded not one first down in my four+ years. Portions of my tuition went to pay for the clay an "ambitious" art student shaped into a phallic symbol draped with holly and wax shavings."

First, let me deal with the notion that your tuition supported ANY of those things. If you attended a state university, you are mistaken if you think that your tuition covered your OWN education, let alone stretched to help with the education of others. In my state, tuition covers about 10% of the cost. For what it's worth, I'm all in favor of increasing taxpayer support to 100% for students making a 3.0 or better GPA. Our society desperately needs more educated people. NO ONE should EVER have to wonder where the money will come from for an education.

Second, your comments would give one the impression that I support expenditures on these activities. What have I said that supports such an assertion? In some LARGE universities, the sports programs are self-supporting; in those that are not, they should be GONE. As to the clay, art classes include lab fees that pay for materials, however nutty you and I may find the art, and as I pointed out any extra expenses are NOT paid by other students' tuition but by taxpayers. I PERSONALLY, were I potentate of the world, would get rid of about 90% of these so-called artists. Vote for me ;)

"Portions of it went to pay for beakers, law periodicals, multimedia equipment, etc. etc. Portions of it even went to pay for cadavers medical students practice on. It will be those same medical students you and I will trust our lives with in the future. Should we count you out on THAT "donation" as well?"

I am ON RECORD as SUPPORTING TAXPAYER SUPPORT of actual education in pursuit of productive contribution to society. You either failed to read all of my posts or chose to misrepresent my statements. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you just didn't read them all, but please be cautious about putting words in someone else's mouth.

"I could jump into an equally vociferous missive concerning the Social Security I'm currently paying out hand over fist each year to help YOU when you need it, knowing full well it won't be there for me. But I don't."

Okay, since you bring it up, I will. I'm only thirty-nine, arguably the last year of the boomers. I've been paying SS taxes for 23 years now. SS will be long gone before I retire, but not until the politicians have bled workers dry rather than extend retirement age. I don't expect to receive a dime of Social Security. I am not bitter about this, but neither do I support sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring the climactic point at which the price becomes so high that workers revolt. Who will pay for the benefits? What will happen to the elderly who are no longer able to work? Caring about this IS compassionate, because the simple numbers show that the system will collapse unless changes are made.

And yes, charity is great!! I do work for charity, and give my money to charity as well. I also work with the childrens' choirs at my church, and have directed youth instrumental ensembles without compensation. For those who will say I am bragging, that's just nuts. My motivations have been repeatedly called into question, and with them my character. Besides, when no one knows who I am, why would I brag? As to you helping out PedalBb, I even suggested to another poster that they do exactly this. No, I've nothing against charity. It's theft (taking money from its rightful owner and giving it to someone else to play with) that I object to. That and having my statements grossly misrepresented.

Finally, I have put instruments into the laps of hardworking, aspiring young musicians. My own lap, my son's lap, and my daughters' laps.

Follow Ups: