Ron Pisarkiewicz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on January 06, 2001 at 12:55:23:

On Wednesday I received an email from a colleague of mine who had been a friend and classmate of Ron Pisarkiewicz some 30 years ago at the Manhattan School of Music. Ron died suddenly of a heart attack on January 2nd. I have been monitoring this bbs all week wondering if anyone closer to Ron than I was (I barely knew him) would post some kind of notice.

Ron was not big on the convention or clinic circuit, and not especially reknowned as a soloist, but he was the principal tubist with the Vienna State Opera/Vienna Philharmonic for just over 20 years. One would have to be aware of the traditions of the Viennese scene to know just what an accomplisment that was. Prior to that he had a few seasons with the North German Radio (Hamburg) and the Bayreuth Festival for European credentials, and American brass players had been working in Europe since the early 60s, but Vienna had been a very tight shop that prided itself on its own schooling, Viennese instruments, native talent, and family dynasties.

To bring an American musician such as Ron into this mileiu, and to provide him with a platform for a 20-year career shows a recognition of talent and ability on their part, and for Ron, who did not use the traditional Viennese instruments, and ended up playing a 4/4 Hirsbrunner, it was an ability to "do in Vienna as the Viennese did" but to do so with the very highest standards of technique and consistancy. I believe it is no accident that the trombone section has considrably improved its sound over the years, and that this is due in no small part to the example of healthy and open foundational support that Ron was providing.

Ron's close friends and family survivors are devastated. Those who didn't know him that well personally should still take a moment to say - So long, Ron. It was too soon. We'll remember you.

Follow Ups: