Re: miraphone 186 questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on January 31, 2001 at 00:07:18:

In Reply to: miraphone 186 questions posted by Marcus on January 30, 2001 at 17:47:27:

I purchased a custom Doug Elliot mouthpiece and it really works well with my horn. These are three part mouthpieces, so you can pretty much design it the way you want. Mine is an XL-N cup with a 132 rim and a N6 Euro (a 186 MUST have a Euro) shank. The horn sounds very clean and does well to fill up a hall without losing any of the 186 cutting power. I've been told that Pokorney played a 186 to get to finals in St. Louis on one of his own custom mouthpieces, which I've tried and it really makes the horn cut like a knife and has near instantaneous response. However, few of these are said to exist any more. The mouthpiece you buy is most dependent on your preference of sound for the horn. A standard piece for the 186 is the Mirafone TU-23 (AKA C-4) which really gives you something to blow against and allows for lots of bite. Other recommended mouthpieces to look into are products of Marcinkewitz and Rudy Meinl.

Follow Ups: