Re: Re: resting on bells

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 11, 2002 at 11:35:41:

In Reply to: Re: resting on bells posted by Tim Jackson on January 10, 2002 at 18:37:22:

With all due respect, Tim, I hate this practice of cluttering the rehearsal space with cases. Every trumpet player has to have his or her case right behind their chair, which prevents the horns or whoever from putting their music stand at a comfortable distance, especially in tiered band room. A fellow who sits next to me has to have his case next to his chair, and it invariably intrudes on the space I need. He also gives me dirty looks when I empty water and it splashes on his case. If I move over, the director asks me to move back (he doesn't like a lot of empty space in the ensemble). If all tuba players in a section kept their giant cases and gig bags next to their chair, they'd have to yell at each other instead of whispering to solve section problems.

When you are in an orchestra, and have nothing but empty space around you, then fine. But that doesn't happen often. And no orchestra or band will allow the practice during performance.

Rick "speaking one man's opinion only" Denney

Follow Ups: