Tuba Bashing - A reminder...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick Sheridan on January 16, 2002 at 19:33:57:

Hey gang! I've been off the list for a few days and just caught up with the Tuba Bashing thread from below. Here's my 2 cents...

Mr. Shaw's review of my performance with the Texas Wind Symphony was a wonderful shot of reality. The concert (which I have a CD of...) was a great success not only artistically but as a vehicle that brought a fairly large audience to hear a wonderful band in a great concert hall. There were several ovations and the CD's sales reflected the audience's delight with the show. I was and remain proud of the work I did with the Texas Wind Symphony. While the review stung emotionally for a few minutes, I keep a copy of that article framed in my practice studio. It serves as a reminder that no matter how far we (as tubists) think we've come in terms of acceptance to the wider concert going audience, there are still those whose minds have not come to grips with our (as tubists) evolution.

I constantly run into musical purists who are in shock and utter dismay with my performances in front of symphony orchestras playing a "non-solo" instrument on "stolen" music. These encounters only serve to fuel my fire to prove them wrong. Rather than make issue with a close minded individual, I choose to continue to perform for more audiences around the world. Widen the minds you can reach and never mind with the rest.

Onwards and upwards!

All the best,
Patrick

Follow Ups: