Re: Re: Re: Howcum?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 24, 2002 at 02:39:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Howcum? posted by Chuck(G) on January 24, 2002 at 01:10:38:

B&H might invite to many not so pleasant terms, but I do not think, that they calculate to "make(s) the tuba less durable".

Rather do I think, that they follow two distinct philosophies in tuba making.

My large belled (with an open leadpipe) 981 is made more along the older Imperial ideas of weight.

Your smaller belled 983 (with a more slowly expanding leadpipe) has been made lighter according to company advertising.

I tested both and very consciously went for the 981, as it was the better vehicle for my ideas of tuba playing.

However both models have high level soloists playing them: Sykes and Sheridan, 981 and 983 respectively.

The double philosophy would mostly be a part of a strategy to get a better foothold on the US market, where the 3+1 valve set-up is not universally acclaimed. And where the Eb tubas are often considered alternatives to F tubas.

Klaus

PS: I think that response is best enhanced and controlled by metal on metal additions. But then I am not an engineer majoring in how vibrations traffic in sandwiched metal and plastic.

Follow Ups: