Re: Re: Besson CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 28, 2002 at 14:35:51:

In Reply to: Re: Besson CC posted by Patrick Sheridan on January 28, 2002 at 08:52:06:

Now, this is momentous news. But the new factory is in Markneukirchen? Down the street from VMI?

I would have thought that the new factory would be Nirschl's own factory in Geretsried.

Or did I misunderstand? Did B&H buy Nirschl's company, or did they just buy the design, brand names, and tooling for this one instrument?

Here's the really momentous part: Boosey and Hawkes has owned the York brand name since the mid-70's, when it purchased it from its final owner after production had ceased. Nirschl's factory (formerly Bohm and Meinl) produced York-branded instruments in the Carl Fischer years. It would only make sense, and preserve a sort-of cosmic symmetry, for B&H/Nirschl to revive the York brand, which they can do legally, and which it now seems to me they can do about as legitimately as anyone, unless the original pre-war Grand Rapids tooling was found.

So, instead of a Nirschl BAT, it would be a real York BAT, and this new instrument could also be a York. I'd bet it would sell better. And I'd also bet that the typical Nirschl York copy is as much like the original York as one instrument is like another identical instrument that was made over 70 years previously.

Rick "who thinks this would be great fun" Denney

Follow Ups: