Re: Re: Army Tuba Conference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack Denniston on January 30, 2002 at 08:29:52:

In Reply to: Re: Army Tuba Conference posted by Anon on January 28, 2002 at 08:46:32:

Amen to all of that!

To your highlights list, I would add the 2 university ensembles- they were a lot of fun to listen to.

I also really enjoyed the 2 open reading sessions. This year's leaders were Gail Robertson and John Stevens. They both brought a nice fat stack of their fabulous arrangements and compositions. What a treat to play through a bunch of great literature, conducted by the composer/arranger. The 2 open reading groups played (to my ear) very tastefully and read well, at least compared to some of the other large reading groups I've experienced.

Another highlight for me was the wonderful playing of the AFTEE. As always they sounded fantastic. What controlled power, precision, beauty and finesse! John Stevens conducted his new arrangement of Billy Joel's "And So It Goes", which was heartbreakingly lovely. John said he'd arranged this tune as a tribute soon after 9-11.

And how about Jack Tillsbury doing the old soft shoe in tails and top hat, and singing "Feet don't fail me now"!

Roland's keyboard playing, his compositions, and his tuba playing were also highlights- what a guy!

Our ametuer quartet also met and made friends with several other "hobbyists" from around the country and enjoyed some informal reading sessions squeezed in between the other events.

I could go on and on- what a great time!

Jack

Follow Ups: