Re: Re: Re: Building your own flight case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2003 at 12:13:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Building your own flight case posted by Chuck(G) on January 17, 2003 at 11:41:02:

I suggested poplar because it is available everywhere, and is cheap for hardwood because it has no natural decorative value. I can't find decent (grade 1) doug fir around here, and yellow pine is just plain unavailable. There's plenty of porous and knotty eastern white pine, though, even though it is usually finger jointed for use as vertical studs. Poplar also machines really well, and will make nice clean holes using one of those all-in-one pilot-hole-countersink bits.

I agree about the biscuits. The biscuits would be especially helpful where the panels meet, and they would also make assembly easier.

I would not, however, inset the panels into the frame. If the panel is loose enough to do any good from an expansion and contraction standpoint, it will provide enough play for the frame to be loaded and broken diagonally. Thus, instead of 1x2, you'd probably have to use 1x4's with a mortise and tenon joint. In the design I propose, it is as strong with the butt joint as with a tenon, because the bending strength is in the plywood instead of the joint. But in a skin design, the skin has to be tightly attached to the frame, or the frame has to provide all the required strength. In my approach, the 1x2 just provides a firm means of attaching the panels together.

Masonite would actually work pretty well, though I think it is heavy for its strength, and it has to be very thoroughly painted to make it waterproof. We hear stories of these things sitting in rain on the gate ramp at the airport, so I should have added water resistance to my requirements, heh, heh.

This approach is actually quite similar, though prettier, to the crate that Custom used to ship me my Sanders many moons ago. The horn was safely packed in straw inside the crate, and the crate was nailed together. It wasn't reusable, but it was plenty strong.

Rick "thinking Chuck can find better wood selection in the Pacific northwest" Denney

Follow Ups: