Re: Re: Re: Re: Building your own flight case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on January 17, 2003 at 12:42:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Building your own flight case posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2003 at 12:13:13:

I forgot that you folks out there back east don't have the great selection of softwoods that we have here. Doug-fir (not a fir at all) is everywhere and is used for doors and windows, flooring and firewood as well as almost the exclusive choice for framing.

Ponderosa pine is almost as plentiful. When someone says "poplar" out here, it's usually the black cottonwood tree, considered unusable for anything except pulp. Another option might be slow-grown red-cedar (not a cedar at all) or Port Orford cedar, both very light and strong, albeit somewhat soft--the outdoor deck wood of choice out here.

Point taken on framing the panels, although old steamer trunks used to do this quite successfully. I'd recommend that the frame use lap joints at the intersecting points where possible, if mortise-and-tenon was impractical. I'm not a fan of butt joints--there's just no strength in gluing end-grain to cross grain.

Follow Ups: