Re: Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 18, 2003 at 22:18:19:

In Reply to: Re: Military Band Question posted by Mark on January 18, 2003 at 20:14:31:

Hey, not a correction, but an addition...

You are right that the Air Force bands are more of a real musical situation. You stay in one place for as long as you like, right? Or, as positions are available, you can choose to move to another band, right? (as long as CO's and such agree...)

I might add that I have heard that Air Force Bands are stingy with the cash. I am pretty sure AF musicians start at E2 or E3, whereas Army musicians are E4. Also, promotions in AF bands are slow, are they not? Where, if you are a good worker/musician in the Army, you can expect E6 in no time? I know one Army trombonist who is now playing at Ft. Monroe--I think he had about 4 years service, and he made E6 already--so, E4-E6 in four years. I dont think that will happen in the Air Force.

Thats why I said it is give and take... If you want a stable, musical experience, but lousy pay, go Air Force. If you want to play in a band for decent pay+rank, go Army, but be aware that you can eventually be shipped anywhere, and you may have more duties that you dont like (speculation...).

If you (or anyone) needs advice from Navy bandspeople, I can ask a friend of mine what she thinks--she has been in Navy Bands since 98 or so, and her husband even longer. I honestly dont know how fast rank comes in Navy Bands, but I do know that my friend has about four years service, and she is E5, so it is better than Air Force.

And too, remember that there are tons of benifits in the military that you never realise until you are in. You save tons of money at the Commisary. If you live off post, you get a tax-free allowance for housing. You dont pay a cent for health care, dental care... There are sooo many things you DONT spend money on when you are in the military.

Again, I've done research on this, but I've never served in the Air Force, or the Navy, so all those things I post are second or third hand knowledge. That's just what I have learned...

Follow Ups: