Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on January 18, 2003 at 20:14:31:

In Reply to: Military Band Question posted by Matt A on January 18, 2003 at 15:11:44:

First, your odds of getting into a base band for the Army, Navy and Marines are decent for a decent player, excellent for a good player, a lock for a great player. It does depend on what bands are open. The Air Force system is all together different than the other services. (More on that later)

Second, Beware of Recruiters and promises not in writing! When the recruiter said that you would want to re-audition after you graduate, did he mean graduate from Boot Camp? Ofter, recruiters will get a person to sign up and tell them that they will get a chance to audition for the music school either in Boot or upon graduation. This is not a good decision. Wait to have the paperwork in hand that says that you have been accepted into the Armed Forces School of Music in Norfolk and that you will be assigned there after you graduate from Boot. Your chances of getting into the Music School without being assigned there prior to entering Boot are slim to none. Then, you would be out painting ships or something somewhere. In short, audition again and get the paperwork. Once you are in the school, you will 36 weeks in which to graduate. If you don't, you may be reassigned another job.

The Gig: Aside from the DC and Academy Bands and the Army Field Band, the Army, Marines and Navy Bands do mostly ceremonies and combo gigs. More than likely, this mean that you won't be doing a whole lot of concert band work. Some, but not a lot depending on where you go. (The Marines seem to do more) And the concert bands are often smaller than most wind ensembles depending(esp. in the Navy: 20 - 25 piece groups). You will also have normal duties. I'm not saying this is all bad because I knew several guys who liked it, but this is the way it is to my understanding.

Benefits: The Army does have the best benefits concerning paying off your school loan. It is the only service that will pay it off. All of them offer the G.I. Bill which is for future education. It is well worth it. It is mostly for when you leave the military. While you are still in, the services will pay up to 75% of your tuition bill. None of this is for you spouse, just you. Again, all of this should be checked on, but it was this way when I was in.

Ok, the AF Band Program: All of these spots are specifically auditioned for. The ARE true concert and cermonial bands. If you get in, you do not go to the Armed Forces School of Music. You go to the band after Boot. In my opinion, these are the best of the "base bands." The good thing is that you know where you are going.

I hope any of this helps. If someone reading this knows something different than me, please do correct me. I have been out for 10 years.

Mark

Follow Ups: