Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt A on January 18, 2003 at 15:11:44:

What are the odds of getting into a military band? I am not asking about the highly advertised positions in the top bands, but I am asking about the positions for people right out of college, trying to start out with a paying job.
Last year, I took an army band audition, on a whim, when they were auditioning at my school. I was not quite prepared for the audition because, like I said, it was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Luckily, I had played a recital two weeks prior and had a few solos prepared. The solo portion of the audition went great, the scales weren't as great and the sight-reading was terrible! They decided that they would let me in, but recommended that I reaudtition after I graduate. As far as I knew, there were not any tuba openings at that time. If I had agreed to join, where might I have been assigned, after basic and special training at the music school? Outside of the premiere bands, is there any way of finding out where you will be posted prior to signing your life away? Is joining a military band, with the ambition of eventually getting a job with an orchestra, a good idea? Any other comments or suggestions?

One other question, about benefits: Do the military benefits extend to spouses? Not health insurance, because I am sure that covers both people, but college loan repayment.

Thanks for your help!

Follow Ups: