Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AF Tubist on January 19, 2003 at 19:55:38:

In Reply to: Military Band Question posted by Matt A on January 18, 2003 at 15:11:44:

First of all, I am in the Air Force Band in Washington DC. Before that, I was in an AF Field band for 6.5 years and I think I can give you the straight scoop to your questions about both worlds in the Air Force. Vacancies are advertised in the international musician and specific intrument mags. They only advertise when there is a opening. There are 8 stateside bands inwhich you can audition for. For example, if the band in San Antonio has a vacancy but you live in Boston and don't have the $$ to fly down to San Antonio you can audition at the band in Boston. But keep in mind, if the specific band is having a cattle call audition, you would improve your chances if you were there in person. If you win the job, congrats. You will then be given an official form (AF Form 485) stating that you have a guaranteed job in an AF Band at a specific base. All they have to do is process you thru and send you to basic. Benefits are free medical& dental, tuition assistance, loan repayment up to $12,000 plus you can defer your loan for 3 years ( what this means is that you basically freeze your loan and intrest payments for 3 years, but you can make payment to it paying 100% of the principal.) provide you with quailty instruments and if you want , private lessons with a known teacher.
In the AF field bands you come in as an E3 if you have 45 college semester hours or more. You go to basic traing in SanAntonio, Tx and while you are in basic you will be assigned to the Drum & bugle flight. You would be part of a trainee band. As a tuba player you would play contra bugle in G. Its not great music but you get a horn to your face for six weeks. After you graduate you report directly to your assigned band. You come in as an E3 you will put on E4 in 28 months. Promotion to E5 and up involves taking a military 100 question test and performance reports. The AF field bands are about 60 people, so this means that you will have to do some type of job to help in the running of the band. You do not pull guard duty or dig ditches. Some times there are crappy days where you have a job at 0700 a reh at 0900 &1300 and a job at 1800hrs. Other times all you have is a concert at night. Like any job there are good days and bad. Transfers do happen but not very often. There are 4 overseas bands- Japan, Germany, Alaska and Hawaii ( the Hawaii band does not have a tuba or euph slot. Sorry!)
In the DC band, you basically do the same thing, except you are promoted to E6 when you get here for basic training. You do not get transfered to any other band.

I will be attending the Army Tuba confrence this coming week If any one would like to ask me some more questions please email me and I'll give you my phone number so we can set up a place to meet.

The Air Force Band will be having a tuba audition on April 28th

Just trying to set things right,

Albert Islas, SMSgt, USAF
Tubist, The United States Air Force Band
Washington, DC

Follow Ups: