Re: Re: Re: Mike Finn m.p.'s, & m.p.'s in general

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on January 21, 2003 at 21:08:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mike Finn m.p.'s, & m.p.'s in general posted by B.G. on January 21, 2003 at 19:07:42:

Boy, Barry, that's weird! I found the 983 had more tuning quirks than the Willson--I DID find that the Willson was fairly sensitive to mouthpiece choices (right now, I'm using a Miraphone C3). The high range is not particularly problematical for me either. All in all, I'm delighted with your old horn and use it wherever a medium-sized horn is appropriate--and don't find it the least bit awkward to hold or play.

This might tell the whole story of why some mouthpieces work for some folks and not for others. We're all different. I've got a Monette mouthpiece (I didn't buy it, it came with a horn) and I think it's the worst-playing mouthpiece that I've ever tried. (BTW, if anyone wants it, they can have it for $150--it's immaculate).

I wonder too, if physical size behind the mouthpiece has anything to do with the way a horn plays. I've never met you face to face, but I'm a medium-build 6'4".

Interestingly, I disliked Rick D's York Master--I didn't like the sound and didn't like the intonation either. But it works for Rick, whom I have met face to face--he's not as tall as I.

Go figure.

Follow Ups: