Re: New Horn + Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on January 04, 2004 at 22:50:23:

In Reply to: New Horn + Audition posted by Thomas on January 04, 2004 at 19:03:19:

Is there going to be any sight-reading on this audition? If there is, you might find a not-so-pleasant surprise on the new horn in a note that doesn't center well. This happened to me on a DC band audition where I borrowed a horn (thanks, Karl, BTW) at the audition site because I thought I couldn't win with the Yamaha I was playing on. Now, granted, I only had a couple of hours on this new horn, but when the Lincolnshire Posy excerpt with the fff low G came up, I found the note didn't center well for me on that horn. I still think that excerpt cost me moving on to the finals.

If you don't have sight-reading to worry about, and you sound good on everything you have to play for the judges, by all means use the new horn. The most important thing in any audition is to remove as many variables as possible. And besides, the judging panel probably won't notice a minor difference in sound quality - accuracy is much more important.

My .02

Follow Ups: