Re: What should i do?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on January 08, 2004 at 10:34:38:

In Reply to: What should i do?! posted by Jacob on January 08, 2004 at 08:43:25:

Here's the advice I gave my sons: if you are involved in two activities that generate a conflict, wait for one of the people in charge to give you an ultimatum, and then walk away from that activity.

In my opinion, you should continue to try to do both activities, recognizing that there will be problems. You give each activity everything you can. In this case, you have an injury that means you won't be at the top of your game musically. Those are the breaks - part of the price of playing soccer.

To be fair, the argument sometimes cuts the other way - there will be times when a musical activity will mean that you have to tell the soccer coach that you won't be around. But, in my opinion, taking a couple of weeks off from practice to keep your lips "safe" is too much of a sacrifice when balanced against the likely gain.

For one thing, you have *already* injured your lip and you should begin to deal with the possibility that you have *already* compromised your chances in the upcoming regional/state competitions.

My advice is: continue as you are. Do *not* push your lip - doe everything you *can* do and let it heal. If your high range isn't there, or causes pain - work on your low range. When audition day comes, go for it. In the meantime...give 110% on the soccer field.

Follow Ups: