Re: Why no C Trombones?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 28, 2004 at 09:55:37:

In Reply to: Why no C Trombones? posted by MP on January 28, 2004 at 08:02:44:

I think it is because the basic action of a trombone--the slide, has been in its modern state for a long time. The trombone has always been a chromatic instrument, so there was no need to make a tbone in F, a tbone in Eb, a tbone in C, etc etc etc...

The trumpet, on the other hand, couldnt play chromatically with good sound until valves, in the mid 1800's, which is why there were natural trumpets in many different keys, so composers could also use those different keys.

The tuba? I honestly do not know why manufacturers went with Bb and C, but hey, I am a euph player. I do know why there are small horns--the Eb's and F's, but C and Bb? Who knows? Someone else can tackle that one. I mean, I see no reason, in theory, for a well made Bb tuba and a well made C tuba to sound greatly different. Perhaps it is more a reason that most C tubas are better-manufactured than most Bb's. Anyway, thats another can of worms, and not my can at that :)

I'd say its because the trombone is a pretty ancient instrument--definitely the brass instrument that is mos true to its ancient forms... so, why change it?

Follow Ups: