Re: Re: T-bone mpc with tuba rim

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 30, 1999 at 07:09:31:

In Reply to: Re: T-bone mpc with tuba rim posted by Joe S. on July 29, 1999 at 20:51:04:

Great! In the back of my mind I had a lot of doubts about how well this concept would actually work and I'm glad to have found someone that has legitimate experience with this sort of thing. I'm never willing to sacrifice sound for the "neat-o" factor or convenience but the fact that some players that I respect have pursued this option made me to atleast investigate it. In terms of chops I'm having virtually no problems with playing a straight tenor with a standard 6 1/2AL and in many respects I think that trombone is a lot easier than tuba. It makes me wonder if I picked the wrong instrument. ;b

I emailed Scott Laskey expressing an interest in his feedback on this topic. After listening to a the lecture from the 'tips' section of this bbs I was concerned that this design would sacrifice the sound concept that I was looking for for convenience so I made a very large point of explaining that I wanted to keep a characteristic trombone sound. Scott's response indicated the same basic problems with this design that Joe has conveyed except in slightly more technical terms.

For those still interested in turning their euphonium into a tubophone(tm) Scott suggested that I call up Schilke and talk to Karl Hammond. Karl is the guy that replaced Scott at Schilke when he left. The mouthpiece that Jacobs used was based on a Schilke 62 with a tightened backbore and shortened cup.

As for me, I'm going back to hacking around on my same old standard equipment. What a wonderful sound! :)

As much as I know and understand that instrument design is all about balance and proportion I still found it easy to let a little misguided enthusiasm send me on a wild goose chase. It's interesting what can teach ourselves about human nature when we take the time to listen isn't it.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this!

humbly,
joseph :)

Follow Ups: