Re: Re: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 03, 2000 at 10:07:00:

In Reply to: Re: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas posted by Joe S. on July 03, 2000 at 08:59:30:

Change the word "tuba" to "camera," and this thread could be on the Russian Camera Forum.

There is a certain charm to a Ukrainian camera. They are amazingly cheap, and in some ways quite good. In the right hands, they can produce professional results. But they are unforgiving. Changed the shutter speed before winding the film? Throw it away and buy another one off ebay (at least they're cheap).

My point: For a photographer to use in addition to his main cameras, the Russian cameras are fun, exotic, cheap, and in some ways unique. But very few professional photographers would risk using one on assignment without a backup.

Now, change the word "camera" back to "tuba." Some report wonderful playing characteristics on St. Petes. I have a band director buddy back in Texas who thinks they are fine--and better than any other $1200 tuba (which is all his system will let him spend). Others, like Matt, aren't as impressed by how they play. But nobody says they are well-built, and nobody recommends them as purchases for young players who don't (or can't) know what they are getting into.

Rick "I'd rather have a used Sanders" Denney

Follow Ups: