Re: Re: What protects shiny brass?(carwax maybe)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 18, 2000 at 09:48:06:

In Reply to: Re: What protects shiny brass?(carwax maybe) posted by Joe S. on July 17, 2000 at 19:43:03:

While my respect for Joe S. is unbounded, I wonder if this might depend upon the wax (and maybe the brass content). I picked up a Benge Symphonic tenor trombone for a song ($20), and it plays like a dream. But it was coated in the most awful gold lacquer you ever saw, much of which was flaking off. A horn doesn't have to be shiny, but when you feel ill just looking at the color... well, I removed the lacquer, polished up the red brass bell where the lacquer had been missing, and have kept it coated with Maguires car wax ever since (about three years now). The bell is not really shiny, but it has a lustre, almost bronze looking, which is probably tarnish but not NEARLY as much as if it were not coated at all. Another benefit, what tarnish IS there has a little layer of wax over it to protect my clothes.

As to instrument makers using it, I'm sure they wouldn't. Wax, to the extent it DOES work, must be reapplied frequently (a lot easier on a trombone than a tuba, I should think) while lacquer will last many years if properly cared for.

Just one more opinion, worth every penny you paid for it!

Follow Ups: