Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 20, 2000 at 17:39:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey: How has the music world changed? posted by Bill on July 19, 2000 at 14:17:24:

Very astute observation about "The Jazz Singer"...

My dad had never been sure about me being a music major until a couple of years ago. He told me that when he looked back at why he became a journalism major (and subsequently a journalist, for the last 30+ years), he remembered that he chose that route because it was what he really wanted to do. He didn't choose it for the money -- he really does get into his work, and enjoys everything that it entails. It's so wonderful to hear him light up about some story he's working on, learning things that nobody knows yet.

He told me that he found that as long as someone really enjoys their work, they'll be successful, and happier in the long run. In a way, make a hobby into a full time career.

A friend of mine changed to meteorology because that's where he really wanted to be. For him, he wanted music to remain a part-time hobby, and not a profession. Think about the differences in those terms... You can start or stop a hobby at any time, but you have to keep up a profession. Are you willing to deal with all the nonsense that gets thrown your way? Can you deal with playing your heart out and being told, "Hmm, that's ok, thanks for coming."? Are you willing to play the same danged march in the same danged lawn for a new bunch of danged tourists? Are you willing to put up with composers & arrangers who are lightly skilled and just not personable people? Or other musicians, for that matter?

If you have any doubts, don't do it.

Follow Ups: