Re: Re: Post a Picture

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on July 03, 2001 at 10:17:32:

In Reply to: Re: Post a Picture posted by Steve C on July 02, 2001 at 14:47:38:

No, you're about right. The 6/4 CC (now MY 6/4 CC) was build from a 1915 York BBb and a Marzan valve set. And it's still for sale (I can't justify owning the thing, but am having a blast playing it).

A bass-playing friend asked me why the manufacturers simply don't just start building the great old horns again. I mentioned that some boutique builders (Nirschl, Hirsbrunner) do, and related the story of the Yamaha York and the proposed high price tag thereof.

He looked surprised and said that $40,000 for a really great tuba should not be a problem. The members of the string section in the orchestra where he plays discovered that the average (not mean) cost of one of their instruments was about $37,000--and this is a just a local orchestra with a short concert season, not Chicago or Boston. Now I'll conceed that this number may be a little skewed by a few very high priced fiddles but it is food for thought.

So maybe the tuba community should feel fortunate having decent instruments available for around $10-15K.

Follow Ups: