Re: Re: Re: Post a Picture

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jim on July 03, 2001 at 14:06:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Post a Picture posted by Chuck(G) on July 03, 2001 at 10:17:32:

I have friends who play violin and they say that there are teachers who won't take an upper level student who isn't willing to spend at least $60k for an instrument because they "aren't serious enough" to be professional violinists. I have a cousin who played cello in the Philadelphia Orchestra for many years and I doubt most tuba players spend as much for their horns as these guys spend for their bows alone, let alone their cellos. But then again, very few people play tubas built in the 1600's and 1700's while a lot of string instruments from this era are still going strong.

My wife is a classical pianist and she's also amazed at how little it costs for high quality brass instruments. (At least until I mention that I'm thinking of buying another one - then I get a different story!)

On the other hand, violins and pianos are pretty versatile, and you don't need different intruments for ensemble/solo/orchestra etc to the same extent as the low brass community.

The thing with top quality (ie, Stradivarius, etc) violins has gotten so bad that a lot of them are owned by publishers, foundations, etc and loaned to the musicians. You'll sometimes see program credits given to the actual owners of the instrument as well as to the performers.

Follow Ups: