Re: Parades galore!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 05, 2001 at 07:46:27:

In Reply to: Parades galore! posted by Nick on July 04, 2001 at 17:56:01:

Congratulations on your first parade! May it be the first of many. My marching days are behind me, having bad knees and being much older than you. (Both my children are already out of High School) As others have said, the Conn 20K has been considered by many to be the best production sousaphone model made. I have been using mine all week, even for outdoors "sit down" concerts, specifically because of that great sound and projection outdoors. The Jupiter's are made in Taiwan primarily for a student market. Even so, Jupiter producst have been improviing in quality and design.

There are a number of factors that make the Conn a better player including a larger bore, larger throat, better quality materials, and better workmanship. Even so, the Jupiters shouldn't be as bad as you describe unless they need some work. It sounds like the valves on the Jupiters may need some work. Based on your description they sound like they are worn and possibly out of alignment. The workmanship difference is one reason why the Jupiter valves would get worn and need service sooner, but if they were in good shape the horns should be better players than described.

Follow Ups: