Embouchure problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Devin on July 05, 2001 at 17:12:03:

Hi, all...

I've been having some problems with my playing that have only really been an obstacle here lately in my practice time. I noticed that as I get higher on the horn (I have a Miraphone 186 BBb, owned by my high school), I tend to change my embouchure. This generally isn't a problem in most of the stuff I play- there's either a large enough interval to give me time between the notes to shift (like in most of the Penderecki Cappriccio or Hartley Unacc. Suite) or I can manage to pull off the run with a little more lip power than usual (like in the Morning Song).

However, when working on concertos, like the Gregson and the Vaughan Williams, I find that there's not enough room in the lines to shift, and if I do use more lip power than usual, I find my sound suffering tremendously. I was wondering if this is normal, how to overcome it, and maybe some other tips to try. I use plenty of air (when I'm concentrating), and I stay pretty well relaxed. Please post or e-mail if you have advice or questions about this... I really appreciate it, thanks a lot! =^)

Devin

Follow Ups: