Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek The Movie Soundtrack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kurr on July 08, 2001 at 14:52:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Star Trek The Movie Soundtrack posted by Greg Crider on July 07, 2001 at 23:26:35:

To each his own. I don't particularly like Horner(AT ALL), but I respect your opinion. To me, he's the "Band Composer" of the Film Industry. Putting his name on a complete Dvorak Symphony(Braveheart), "borrowing" from Mahler without giving credit(the Robin Williams Movie), and blatantly stealing the music of another well known non-film composer(Titanic) is NOT what I consider "musical genius". And let's not mention the soundtrack to Dragonheart/a dozen other movies with the same soundtrack! Any of his music that I haven't immediately recognized from somewhere else has always struck me as sappy and mellodramatic... as a good friend of mine described his music.. "it has the subtlety of a brick in the face". 'The Perfect Storm' soundtrack is a prime example of this. "His" music seems to be very cliche, formulaic, which is basically why I don't respect him as a composer.

As for the other mentioned names, I'd like to add Elliot Goldenthaul to that list(despite his recycling of the Batman&Robin soundtrack for his latest movie)

my personal opinion, nothing more.

Follow Ups: