Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on July 16, 2001 at 13:01:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band? posted by dp on July 16, 2001 at 11:37:34:

Dale,
I will have to somewhat agree with Joe B. on this one. We live in a time and age that people associate the success of a band program with the size and loudness of it's marching band. That does force directors, even good ones to set "requirements" for the students. I did stay away from directing for this and other reasons, but I feel the pain of the others. For example, FAMU has a very entertaining band, but not the best college marching band there ever was. However, many people say it is, even though they leave out fundamental playing concepts for the sake of good showmanship. This band brings a lot of respect to the program and the university in many circles and is a great PR tool. What we all must remember however is that in our capitalistic society, we are all "in business" doing whatever we do. Schools, both public and private are in the business of educating students as well as colleges. There is a lot of competition to do well and surpass others to attract more students (i.e. business) so the more atrractive product is the one marketed the best. Even though rectal thermometers are just as accuarate if not more so than a new "instant" thermometer, which one gets the nice packaging and the ads in the family oriented magazines? Some people demand the availability of the rectal thermometer so they keep it going. I myself was "paid" $800 every Fall if I wanted to march in the band as a scholarship. I continued to participate until I felt that marching band was a hindrance not so much on my chops but my time to practice other things. I figured that the band was taking up 20 hours of my week, which would be much better spent doing anything else. A good director will keep his players in check by making them use good fundamentals in their playing even on the field, and most important try to limit the drill as much as possible. I think that it would be a shame to talk students out of marching band for all of the experiences, both bad and good. I also did the BBb to CC switch while still having to play a sousaphone, but I still did it even if it did take a little longer than I would have liked.
Basically, I try to temper all of my opinions about education by keeping in mind that they are a business trying to provide a service and being more attractive than the other guy. Public schools do it to try to keep people in their area or move people into it, this brings MONEY. Private schools try to attact students to bolster their student populations and/or credentials. Colleges of all types do the same thing. While I don't agree with this idea of competition and economics involved in the school system, I think it is a harsh reality.
Matt "not a band director for many reasons" G

Follow Ups: