Re: teaching beginners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Landry on July 16, 2001 at 21:19:16:

In Reply to: teaching beginners posted by MD on July 14, 2001 at 15:08:00:

MD:

Just curious, is the moniker for "doctor"? But seriously, folks - my thoughts, FWIW:

1. Having had some experience teaching "scratch" tuba players, you may want to start by getting some background on your student. Is s/he truly a "scratch" player or are they switching from another instrument? If so, which one? It does make a difference - I approach a woodwind convert much differently than a brass one.

2. What's the student's motivation for private instruction? Parents? Band director? Both? Or is the student genuinely interested in self-improvement? This will affect your teaching approach.

3. If a band director sends me a student, I try to find out why. Are they looking for a quick fix or do they want to see this student study long-term? I know this may seem like an obvious question, but you'd be surprised.

4. How much time you have will determine how and what you teach. Is it just for the summer or will this (again) be a long-term thing?

5. Generally speaking, unless the student shows exceptional ability or promise, keep the lessons short - 30 to 45 minutes tops. Most beginners start tuba somewhere between 4th and 8th grade - not exactly the ages with the longest attention spans. Also, teach in short segments - you don't have to teach everything in a first lesson. If the student learns nothing more than basic breathing, how to take the instrument out of the case, hold the instrument/mouthpiece (this could be 5-15 minutes in itself - chair or lap tuba? Do you use a tuba stand or a second chair? How will the student sit relative to the instrument?,etc. You get the idea), buzzing the mouthpiece, and making a few sounds (noises) on the instrument, consider this a success. As long as the student experiences what they consider to be success, mission accomplished.

Obviously, I could go on and on, but I hope this helps. If you have any more specific questions, drop me a line. I'm glad to help in any way possible. And let's face it - we need more consciencous tuba instructors out there like yourself.

Later,

Scott

Follow Ups: