Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Polite tuba testing.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by R. S. on July 17, 2001 at 15:40:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Polite tuba testing. posted by Bouncer on July 17, 2001 at 10:58:47:

Like I said, the vast majority of customers are a pleasure, regardless of what they spend. If EVERY customer was brought up with good manners and was taught as a small child how to move slowly and carefully, pay attention, etc., this would not be a problem.

Why not encourage people to elevate themselves, rather than to "allow for" or "expect" that a certain percentage (an unacceptably high %) will come in and carelessly screw up your merchandise?

Today, 7/17/01, an inner-city couple came in inquiring about junior-sized drumsets. They did NOT bring their five-year-old with them, and (I know) would not have allowed him to scratch up the demo if they HAD brought him. They asked about price, colors, carefully looked over the displays, thanked us, and left...GREAT customers (whether or not they return to buy).

This crap about "breakage" (not to mention "shrinkage") started around the 1960's. Prior to that, ANYone who messed up or broke something in a store KNEW that they had to pay for it. What happened to personal responsibility, and why does the careful and respectful majority have to "carry" the irresponsible and the negligent minority? I would guess the median age of poster on this bbs is about 20. My daughter, a university student who just turned 21, tells me often how (unfortunately) many of her friends hold contempt for those who have worked hard to have something, and this would certainly include retail establishments. Insurance indeed...

yours -

Follow Ups: