Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Feldspar redeux on July 02, 2002 at 16:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best posted by Matt G on July 02, 2002 at 14:47:06:

sigh,
1)
OK, I own a PT-4P, my teacher says I sound good on it, it is a very predictable horn,
and perhaps ideally suited for me for quintet and small ensemble stuff. For some various reasons though (again, for me) I just do not enjoy playing it as much as my other CC tubas.
2)
I have very much liked every Mirafone 188 I have ever played, for me they are a better all-around horn than the 186 - and (again for me) were I not a pistoned-tuba player I "might" even prefer this one to the PT-4P, I know I'd certainly enjoy playing it more!
(note, for me I have to approach rotary-horns different from piston-horns, as both my style and their response are "different"...ask the experts out there "how" they are different if you want details, but just the fact that they ARE "different" is enough to keep me from switching around.)
3)
I suspect the Conn 56 would be a more enjoy-able horn next-to-my-head to play than the PT-4P, were it not for the fact that for me they're vastly different in size. As I see it and again for me, all other things being equal, a horn with a .690 bore will not blow as freely as one with a bigger bore. For me in the case of the small-horn need, I think the Conn 56 might fit the bill, but for the same money a careful shopper can land a G-50 Getzen and these have a much more consistent reputation. Since the PT-4P is presntly adequate though, I won't be shopping any of them.

Now, I confess to always being a bit uncomfortable offering advice to a stranger, since I I don't know you. Try this: does your teacher have insights for what would work for you? That might help.

Follow Ups: