Re: Re: Re: Re: Rehearsal Horror Stories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Broadway Musician on July 06, 2002 at 23:08:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Rehearsal Horror Stories posted by ... on July 06, 2002 at 14:18:43:

So, what you are saying is that because you have another source of income you don't have to act professionally? What the hell is that?

And while I have your attention Joe, a few things from your previous post:

Tour books are "much harder" than the books in NYC? They are different in many cases, but being different does not make them "harder".

I'm glad you are such a swell sight-reader. That helps at the FIRST rehearsal when you are sight-reading. Otherwise, it has nothing to do with the story you tell.

While you brag of your town's first show prowess, I really have to wonder. First shows usually go well on tour. The orchestra has just rehearsed, so the cues are still fresh, and the musicians tend to be more focused and alert at the first performance. After this, even the finest musicians (who are not used to playing the same show over and over) tend to lose focus and make mental errors. This is the biggest complaint of the musicians who tour with these shows. I would surmise that you probably took care of business the first show, and then began to lose interest in shuffling those pages to the point where it affected your performance. In other words, you earned the remark.

If I was in your shoes, I would have cut-and-pasted a part together to insure the best possible performance. Certainly I would have clarified any confusion about entrances with the conductor before each performance. It sounds as if you didn't put any effort in and ended up doing a half-assed job.

As for the quote you are so proud of (I've played a lot worse for a lot better conductors).... here is something to think about. Most Broadway conductors are former rehearsal pianists who have NEVER taken a conducting lesson. They are generally wonderful musicians, nice people, and are AWARE that they are bad conductors. They would not disagree with the statement that you've played for "lot better conductors". I'm guessing they also wouldn't be surprised to hear that you've "played a lot worse".

Next time you get a call to play a show, Joe, do everyone a favor and stay at your store.

Follow Ups: