Re: Re: Re: Re: Sight-reading

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on July 10, 2002 at 21:21:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Sight-reading posted by Thomas on July 10, 2002 at 17:32:11:

I think, regardless of one's age - etc., these exercises are beneficial if someone considers their own sight reading skills in need of improvement.

These half-page (fairly large print) exercises represent about the longest phrases of music (as composition patterns tend to go) that players might typically encounter as sequences that would tend to "stump".

I think this McLure publication offers a lot more benefit than, for instance, that sightreading book that has a picture of a "target" on the cover - which consists of full page exercises (as one would tend to turn this "target" book into a regular etude book, instead of a sight-reading book).

Joe "who really isn't looking to hawk a book, but who has used this McLure book
with his own kids with very positive results" S.

another thought: If a player has never worked their way through (supposedly a "school kid" book called) "A Rhythm A Day", I recommend that book first. There are many reasonably accomplished players of fairly impressive pieces who (I would wager would) have trouble with the second half of the "A Rhythm A Day" book, just because their focus of accomplishment has been narrowed only to their (*semi-rote-learned) performance, etude, and excerpt repertoire.

Follow Ups: