Re: quintet music...(different)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Perry on July 02, 2003 at 19:34:14:

In Reply to: quintet music...(different) posted by jon schultz on July 01, 2003 at 09:59:05:

I'll second the comments on Meridian and also Quinteto Brassil. Here's the website for Quinteto Brassil (sadly, no sound clips):

http://www.brassil.hpg.ig.com.br/

I have "Brassiliero" which is on Nimbus Records, and it's worth checking out--they play the traditional stuff _very_ well. I don't know if they sell their charts, but they'd be worth the trouble.

Going even further into jazz territory, before Joe Murphy co-founded the MJT Project, he co-led a group called Conversation, which was basically a brass quintet plus piano, guitar, and drums. They made one CD ("Onward") and it's a trip. The group is still nominally together, but I don't think they've played much recently. You may still be able to buy the CD, though--if you're interested, I'll send you Joe's email.

As far as charts go, they're out there, but you have to look for them and take some chances. John Wasson (ex-Dallas Brass, I think) has a few but I don't know if you can still get them. Some of the Ingo Luis charts published by Tezak are worth checking out (try "Old Devil Moon" and "You Make Me Feel So Young"). I like most of Jack Gale's things, too. All these arrangements are pretty tight--there's little or no room for improvisation, unfortunately. But, if played by good players, they can be rewarding experiences.

This ended up longer than I expected, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Richard Perry
University of Southern Mississippi
Modern Jazz Tuba Project

Follow Ups: