New take... VPO tubist.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Billy M. on July 07, 2003 at 22:13:29:

After some serious consideration and thought over the matter of the Vienna Philharmonic and their practices, I have to admit I'm being biased and hypocritical in my thinking.

Disclaimer: personal thoughts and preferences ahead... My take before on not purchasing VPO recordings may change in that I have to realize other places in which I DO allow such biases to take place w/o raising up a complaint.

I am a fan of drum and bugle corps. (this may sound like a tangent but bears merit to what I have to say) For me to say that it's ok for such fine organizations like the Cavaliers and Madison Scouts to remain all-male w/o complaining that they retain the traditions not allowing females into the group, whilst saying that the Vienna Philharmonic is being unjust for its lack of minority within its confines is hypocritical.

That being said, the Vienna Philharmonic HAS allowed at least one woman into it's organization and hopefully more into the future, these drum corps that I find enjoyable do not.

So, in hindsight (as always, in 20/20) I will probably retract my previous statement about purchasing recordings of the VPO (gotta help pay Mr. Sugiyama's salary... even if it is 1/10000000000th of it).

All-in-all, congratulations, once again, Mr. Sugiyama on winning the job with the VPO. I certainly hope they will find what they are looking for sound-wise and not by color of skin or gender in the future.

Follow Ups: