Re: Keeping a good beat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sometimes Together on July 08, 2003 at 12:12:49:

In Reply to: Keeping a good beat posted by Not quite together on July 08, 2003 at 11:05:44:

I can understand your concerns. I have been conscious for years that I should anticipate the conductor's beat slightly so my tuba sound (I usually sit in the back row as do most tuba players) will arrive at the front of the band at the same time as the sound of the rest of the players in the band. I think that it is important for the tubas to push the beat slightly so as to keep the tempo of the rest of band from lagging. I don't often play in larger groups any more, so I have to keep this in mind when playing in them.

Recently I heard one of the local community bands playing "Them Basses" (the march) and it seemed to me that the piece was just very slightly out of synch from my seat in the audience. I think it was because the three tuba players were not anticipating the beat quite enough. Also, all of the chromatic runs for the tuba part in this particularly number tend to frustrate giving a clear interpretation of the part.

Even to get the sound out of the bell of the tuba in time, various things have to be anticipated such as the valves down slightly ahead of time and tonguing the note slightly ahead as well. We have up to a 16' air column in the tubing to get vibrating.

What do you think?

Follow Ups: