Keeping a good beat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Not quite together on July 08, 2003 at 11:05:44:

I play in a couple of community bands and have been bothered with a concept floating around, especially after listening to a recording of a recent concert. The entire band is just not together like it should be. Everyone seems to feel where the attack belongs a little differently. I believe along with the percussion section there is an unspoken primary responsibility for the low brass to provide a good "beat" for everyone. I hear sometimes as many as 3 attacks coming from 4 tubas. I can't tell who is is right and who is wrong. When I am the only one at a rehearsal I feel like I am providing a very solid beat that's right on the money. There seem to be those that live with the philosopy that you need to attack ahead of the beat on a tuba in order for the sound to get to its destination at the same time as the higher instruments. I understand the very low notes are sometime difficult to get to speak and mentally you need to start the process a little early, but low notes travel at the same speed as high notes. Has someone developed a bad habit or is it probably a general lack of paying attention? Is what I hear coming out of my horn different than the way others hear it? Anyone else experience this?

Follow Ups: