Re: Keeping a good beat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fault lays sqarely.. on July 08, 2003 at 13:02:26:

In Reply to: Keeping a good beat posted by Not quite together on July 08, 2003 at 11:05:44:

...in the hands of the Conductor in my opinion.

If your band are playing pieces with tricky runs and so on I appreciate they could be too difficult for some of the players. However, with the right ensemble training I see NO REASON why the ensemble shouldn't begin bars etc together and certainly why the whole Low Brass Section shouldn't play 'as a section'.

I work mostly with kids and spend a lot of time getting them to move 'as an ensemble'. This is most readily achieved through Hymns and the like which tend to move slowly. If an entry is out we'll go over it until it is acceptable. Players frequently rise to high standards if they are expected...

It may be that your Conductor simply has low standards and is willing to let these simple things pass?? I can't pass judgement in this regard as I've never met you or your conductor of course. If you are sure things are bad with timing and ensemble, yet your conductor fails to consistently raise comment, you have your answer.

As mentioned elsewhere, YOU can try to set high standards in your section perhaps by organising sectionals etc... However, if your section-mates don't share your desire to raise standards, they aren't likely to respond well to your efforts either in main band OR in sectionals. If this is the case, you either need to find a better band or just live with the poor-standard!

Good luck!

Follow Ups: