Re: Keeping a good beat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Why bother playing? on July 10, 2003 at 09:35:10:

In Reply to: Keeping a good beat posted by Not quite together on July 08, 2003 at 11:05:44:

It saddens me to hear of these community groups which don't play together and worse still, don't care about it.

I write from the UK and here there are more 'community' brass bands than wind bands. Some of these too share the timing problem you describe.

I am Post-Grad trained so have pretty high personal standards but I also understand not everyone shares these. However, what is the point of going to the trouble in owning an instrument and turning up to band if you don't have SOME consideration for the music being 'performed'?? If all you want is some social interaction, go to the pub with the guys from band.

I think groups should play music that is within their limits to ensure a decent musical product. If band-members don't practice between rehearsals, accept that and choose repertoire which does not need much in the way of rehearsal/practice. There is LOADS of well written repertoire which caters for all abilities so what is the excuse??

Whilst I accept a lot of music may be unplayable for some bands I strongly believe that virtually ANY ensemble is capable of starting and finishing pieces and new sections together. If conductors don't care either then that saddens me also. If they don't have SOME standards they have no right to be on the podium IMO.

I hear groups of this type in performance and think they are publicly shaming themselves. If it's a kid-group I have no problem at all; they're developing musicians. For grown Adults though I find it laughable that they bother. An equivalent would be a Theatre company where members consistently get their lines completely wrong (and in the wrong place), go on/off stage at the wrong time and perhaps fall-over when attempting a dance or other movement. I'm sure even these groups exist but they wouldn't get an audience (from me at any rate!).

I suppose the audiences that these community groups play to are not informed musicians and just want some-sort of 'musical entertainment' whilst they walk-by or enjoy a quiet chat in the sunshine. Comm-groups can fill a niche here I suppose but do the performers come off stage/field feeling pleased with their performance or do they not give it a second's thought?? I don't understand it.

If something's worth doing it's worth doing well.

Follow Ups: