Re: Keeping a good beat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on July 08, 2003 at 18:58:29:

In Reply to: Keeping a good beat posted by Not quite together on July 08, 2003 at 11:05:44:

When I was in college marching band the conductor (also the tuba professor) demanded that the tubas "anticipate the beat." His stated reasoning was that the sound takes a little more time to reach the audience. Whether this is true or not has been debated scientifically and philosophically, as well. The real truth is that regardless of the reason, Dr. Metcalf taught me a skill that I needed as a tubaist, and still use to this day.

Later on I was hired to play bass parts on tuba in a swing band by someone who preferred the sound of a tuba over that of a string bass. Here I learned the importance of "pushing" the ensemble, and coordinating with the drummer. This is extremely important when playing four beats to the bar!

In my brass quintet I learned that because you are basically a chamber ensemble, each person can shape tempo, mini-rubatos and phrasing. The rest of the ensemble will listen, adapt and follow. They also have to respect your freedom, and pay attention. We also look at each arrangement and figure out what we can do to make even the easiest music more exciting with tempos, ritardondos and accellerandos.

All-in-all, if you are a good musician you know when to anticipate the beat, and keep the ensemble moving. You are not there just to play every other beat.

Follow Ups: