Re: BBb Opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 11, 2003 at 15:04:00:

In Reply to: BBb Opinion posted by MP on July 11, 2003 at 12:54:54:

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

For a returning amateur, a King 2341 bought from a shop that will take care of you if you if the first one they deliver isn't right or a Miraphone 186 are pretty darned hard to beat. They have all the qualities you desire including good natural intonation and plenty of playability. Lot's of folks play 186's after decades, and lots of folks still like the old Kings (which aren't nearly as good as the new ones, in my opinion), so they have the legs to last.

The VMI 3302 has the fifth valve if that's what you really want, and it is not much more expensive than the above. Fifth valves are either available for or can be added to any BBb tuba. The Miraphone 186 can be had with a fifth valve, and I know that Lee Stofer added a fifth valve to a King 2341. I've never played brass-band music, but I've never seen a low B in any concert band literature, ever.

There are better and more expensive BBb instrument intended for professionals to use, such as the Miraphone 191, 1291, any of the Rudolf Meinl tubas, and the Meinl-Weston Fafner, plus examples made by Willson, Hirsbrunner, B&S, and so on. They are all more expensive, and some of them are much more expensive. The Miraphone 191 is probably the cheapest of this bunch, but I don't really think it's a good choice unless you are really committed to it--the one I auditioned required more air than I have. If you have the air, then it makes the sound. The 186 is much more forgiving for the wheezy among us.

Rick "who still wants to try a Fafner one of these days just out of curiosity" Denney

Follow Ups: