Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on July 13, 2003 at 18:46:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm looking for posted by Euph 4+1 Kev on July 12, 2003 at 23:00:19:

Just a point, that I think Joe was trying to make. If the euph doesn't play low enough where a 5th valve would be useful, then neither would the compensating valves. The compensating system is, after all, only used when the 4th valve is depressed.

I don't know what advantages Jow was thinking, but here's a small list I can think of
1) more alternate fingerings (both high, and low)
2) more open 4th valve (not forced back through the 1st 3 valves)
3) more open low register
4) lighter valves

As far as 3+1 comp horns
1) easier to carry (atleast for me. If I found myself doing strolling gigs on tuba, you bet I'd get a horn with upright valves, kinda tired of the seeing sousas everywhere)
2) consistant fingerings in low and high register (on euph, low E-lowB are like playing the octave aboves on a 3-valve horn, while holding the 4th of course)
3) easier to play the low register, fingering wise (again, my opinion. That is because you're not using all you're fingers on one hand)

And I've always thought that 4+1 ment 4 valves on right hand, 1 valve on left. Wouldn't 5+0 be where the 5th is operated by the right thumb? Or was Joe refuring to a 4-upright, 1 side action. If so, why not 3+2?

Steve C

Follow Ups: