Re: Re: Re: Sheridan-Pilafian product?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on July 17, 2003 at 12:58:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Sheridan-Pilafian product? posted by MP on July 17, 2003 at 11:13:15:

A sticky point here.

For those of you who were at various regionals and saw the Jacobs presentations I did, yes, there were videos of Mr Jacobs from masterclasses. I have two presentations done, The Performer and Breathing for Wind Instruments (which will be shown in Vegas for the NFA). There are another three in the works, Use of Breathing Devices, The Embouchure and Tongue and an unamed psychological show. These will be done for next year's Melbourne Brass Festival down under in Oz.

As far as commercial release, there is no way that complete masterclasses can be done. There are students working with Mr Jacobs that now have jobs in prominent places, this is like a doctor/patient relationship and cannot be released. This is why Mr Jacobs never allowed videos of masterclasses except the tapes I did - he had control!

I have been working on a project to preserve these tapes by making copies on DVD. This is a big drain on both time and money on my part. Problem is not much support from everyone. I bought a computer with the proceeds from selling York tshirts (still have more), a few people have donated blank DVD's but there are those out there who seem to accuse me of profiting on the Jacobs name (check the archives a few weeks ago) - can't win.

Sorting through masterclass tapes to take out portions is a major job and, to do it right will cost big bucks, like a six figure grant. With orchestras folding all over the place, it does not look like anything will come through for a single teacher, even Mr Jacobs. Doing it as a commercial venture would still cost big bucks (with money up front). Today we have to deal with the Napster generation who wants something but wants it for free.

Here's the dilemma - it would take a lot of time, money and resources to produce a video but, until the issue of "copying", "sharing" or "stealing" has been settled, it would be foolish to come out with anything - sorry, I could potentially lose six figures and I would rather keep my house than take the risk.

For those of you from the Napster generation, get use to this. In the tuba world recordings are primarily financed by the artist, when you steal these recordings, it comes right out of their pocket. Why do all the work to lose money? Why do recordings, you've gotta be nuts! All you are doing is screwing yourself. I'd like to see things 30 years down the line when today's Napster generation makes recordings, gets them stolen and loses their money on the deal.

In the meantime, I'm doing the Jacobs presentations at different places but have been advised to stop the show when a video camera comes out. I have been given copyright permission for educational use, once a video is made, I lose control of it's use making it commercial use which is a totally different ballgame.

Finally, I'm not creating a discussion about the Napster generation - this has been hashed out here many times, we don't need to bring it up again.

Follow Ups: